Best Healthy Cocktails
Best Healthy Cocktails
Healthier cocktails to drink on a diet
Sugar-free low carb keto diet drinks
New year, new cocktail! Are you trying to cut back on calories but unwilling to sacrifice happy hour? Typically alcohol is the first thing to go when on a diet, but what if there was a way to still enjoy cocktails without indulging in high calorie-sugary drinks? As a wellness inspired mixology company we’re constantly striving to make the best drinks with the best ingredients. These are our favorite tips for ordering and making guilt-free cocktails.
How to order healthier cocktails at the bar
Be careful when ordering cocktails from a bar! Many mixers are loaded with sugar and calories – even drinks that claim to be “healthy”. It all comes down to making good choices and smart ingredient swaps when ordering out at a bar.
Ginger beer, tonic water, margarita mix, & soda are examples of bad choices that you might not realize are filled with sugar. A Moscow Mule typically has 40g of sugar! Drink a couple of those in one night and your diet is officially off the rails.
Try substituting mixers with low or no sugar for a guilt-free cocktail. Order soda water instead of tonic water. Request fresh squeezed citrus and agave syrup (aka “skinny”) instead of margarita mix. And if you want an easy boost of flavor, ask for a few dashes of aromatic bitters in your drink.
Before you order a drink check out the bar and look for fresh ingredients. Bowls of citrus, juice squeezers, impressive garnishes, homemade syrups – these are all positive indications you can get a drink with diet-friendly mixers. If you see nothing but bottles of sweet and sour mix or grenadine, order a spirit and soda water.
Finding a healthy cocktail at a party or event can be challenging. Fortunately, Garden to Glass has healthy bartending services for parties and events! Feel good about what your drink with farm to table cocktails made with seasonal ingredients. Contact us today for wellness mixology at your upcoming party, corporate event or wedding.
How to make healthier cocktails at home
The easiest way to bring big flavors to a distilled spirit without adding mixers is through an “infusion” and a “quick-shake”. An infusion has stronger flavors, while the quick-shake takes much less time. Both are fantastic ways to flavor a cocktail without adding sugars and calories that found in traditional mixers.
Infused distilled spirit
An infusion is created by simply combining your favorite fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs and flowers with a distilled spirit. This ancient preservation technique not only preserves fresh ingredients, it also imparts their flavors and natural oils into your spirits.
How to Infuse Spirits
1. Sterilize. Be sure your container is clean and has a tight seal.
2. Choose the spirit. While vodka is often a go-to base because of its neutral taste, you can infuse whiskey, gin, and everything in between. Quality counts here, so choose a well-respected brand!
3. Choose ingredients. Do you have an abundant garden or favorite seasonal fruit? Consider what ingredients are in season and pair well together. Just remember, the stronger the flavor of the ingredient, the stronger the infusion. For example, try one chili pepper for one bottle but ten strawberries for another. After deciding on your combination, select the freshest options available. Wash, chop and add to your jar.
Our favorite garden to glass ingredients come from farm fresh seasonal fruits, vegetables & herbs. Try: jalapeno peppers, fresh berries, rosemary, citrus peel (make sure you use a peel without the white pith), ginger, cucumber, cherries, and hibiscus.
4. Combine. Pour the spirit into a large air-tight container, add your flavoring, and screw the lid on tightly. Store in a cool, dark room or closet.
5. Shake, sip, and wait. Gently shake your infusion twice a day. After two days, take a sip. If the flavor isn’t to your preference, let time do its thing until your spirit is to your liking.
6. Strain. Once your infusion has reached its peak flavor, pour it through a fine strainer into a clean jar.
7. Drink! For a guilt-free cocktail pour your infused spirit over ice, top with soda water, and garnish with a fresh herb or flower. Your beverage will have no added sugar and low calories! To take your infusion one step further, try making a homemade liqueur and substitute the sugar with your favorite sweetener alternative.
Easy shake specialty cocktails
We’re going to let you in on an easy trick used by the world’s best bartenders – the quick shake infusion! Shaking fresh ingredients in a mixing tin with ice creates a quick infusion. This is one of the best ways to quickly bring bright, aromatic flavors to a drink without adding sugar and mixes.
For a quick shake infusion, simply fill your shaking tin with ice. Then use a jigger to pour in 2 oz of your favorite spirit. Top with fresh flowers, herbs, fruit, tea or spices. Then close your tin and shake hard for 30 seconds. Strain out your spirit with a boston strainer into your serving glass. The result will be a liquor filled with fresh flavors – much like an infusion but without the wait! Drink straight, on the rocks, or top with soda water.
Try one of our favorite guilt-free shaken cocktails:
Bubbly Rosemary Berry
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 10 Fresh Strawberries
- 1 sprig chopped Rosemary
- 2 oz Sparkling Soda
- 2 oz Dry Brut Champagne
- Put vodka, lemon juice, strawberries and rosemary in a shaker tin. Add 1 scoop ice. Hard shake for 15 seconds.
- Using a strainer, pour mixture into a collins glass. Fill glass to top with ice, and then top with sparkling soda and champagne. Use a bar spoon to give the mixture a quick stir.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a fresh cut lemon wedge.
How to make a sustainable limoncello made with juiced lemon husks. Don’t throw away citrus, follow this recipe and turn your lemons into a homemade liqueor!
How to make the best signature cocktails for events, parties and weddings! Specialty beverages are fun and easy, follow our steps to success.
The essentials for anyone serious about making great drinks at home. Make fantastic cocktails with these classic bar tools.